Providing a meaningful visitor experience can be at odds with a mandate to protect fragile coastal resources. This course helps participants understand, monitor, and manage visitor use to maintain healthy resource conditions and high-quality visitor experiences. This training introduces participants to a step-by-step decision-making process used to identify unacceptable visitor use impacts and explore a range of helpful strategies and tactics to address them.
- Recognize the human dimensions of coastal and marine management
- Apply recreation and visitor use management planning frameworks
- Identify visitor use issues, including visitor-resource and visitor-visitor impacts
- Craft a clear problem statement
- Develop measurable indicators for monitoring impacts and set standards for impact acceptability
- Implement visitor use monitoring methods and management strategies and tactics